The TikTok Stitch feature makes it easy to incorporate another creator’s video into your own. Here’s how to do it.
TikTok allows you to remix and reuse other people’s videos in a number of ways, one of which is to Duet them. In a Duet, you create your own version of an original video and both videos will play simultaneously on a split-screen.
Another way to reuse other people’s videos on TikTok is to Stitch them. Stitching on TikTok allows you to incorporate portions of other people’s videos into yours, but it’s a little different than a Duet.
In this article, we’ll show you how to Stitch and also how to manage your Stitch settings on TikTok.
What Is a Stitch on TikTok?
The TikTok Stitch feature was introduced in September 2020. A TikTok Stitch is a clip that you take from someone else’s TikTok video and incorporate into your own video. A TikTok Stitch cannot be more than five seconds long.
Not all TikTok videos can be Stitched. TikTok’s privacy settings allow creators to turn Stitch on or off for a particular video or for all their videos. If a video’s Stitch button is inactive, you won’t be able to Stitch the video.
Stitched videos attribute the original source in the Stitched video’s caption. Similarly, the caption’s attribution links back to the original creator’s video.
You must have a public account before others can Stitch your videos. That being said, let’s show you how to Stitch on TikTok.
How to Stitch a Video on TikTok
TikTok Stitches are pretty easy to create. Here’s how to Stitch a video on TikTok:
- Launch the TikTok mobile app.
- Go to the video you’d like to Stitch and tap on the arrow (Share) icon.
- Scroll left on the bottom toolbar, tap on Stitch and wait for the video to load.
- If this is your first Stitch, you’ll get a message on the screen. Click Try it.
- Five seconds of the video will be selected by default. You can drag the frame right or left to reduce the duration, otherwise, leave it as is.
- Tap Next in the top-right corner and wait for the video to process.
- Tap on the red video capture button to start recording your own video. You have up to three minutes to record. You can tap the red checkmark to stop recording at any time.
- Tap Next.
- Review your Post settings such as people to tag, who can watch the video, whether to allow Duet or Stitch, and so on.
- You can tap any of the social media icons to share the video there after you’ve posted it on TikTok.
- Tap Post when you’re done.
When playing back the video, the portion of the Stitched video will play first, followed immediately but the video you recorded.
How to Manage Your TikTok Stitch Settings
TikTok allows you to manage your Stitch settings for a particular video or for all of your videos. This way, you can easily allow or disallow Stitching on your videos.
For a New Video
To manage your Stitch settings before posting a new video:
- Record your TikTok video as usual.
- Tap Next.
- Toggle the Allow Stitch switch on or off in the Post settings.
For an Existing Video
To manage your Stitch settings for an existing video you already posted:
- Locate and open the video.
- Tap on the three dots icon or the Share icon.
- Swipe left and tap on Privacy settings.
- Toggle the Allow Stitch switch on or off.
For All Your TikTok Videos
To manage the Stitch settings for all your TikTok videos:
- Tap on your Profile in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap on Settings and privacy.
- Tap on Privacy.
- Scroll down and tap on Stitch.
- Select who can Stitch your videos accordingly. Your options are Everyone, Followers that you follow backand Only me.
Make Your First TikTok Stitch
A TikTok Stitch is the perfect way to incorporate another creator’s video into your own. Whether you have a follow-up commentary, an answer to their question, or simply want to present your version of their video, they won’t be left out.
And now you know how to use this feature. Go ahead and open your TikTok app, refer back to this guide, and create your first Stitch!